Sunday, July 03, 2005

Week 1

It is Sunday. The first week of my unemployment.
Last night I went out with some friends. I was introduced to a friend of a friend who inquired as to what I did. "Nothing" I replied. My new acquaintance looked at me quizzically and repeated "Nothing?". "Yes" I responded "I'm newly unemployed". The look that greeted my statement was a mix of shock, embarrassment (for having asked? It was an innocent question), pity, and curiosity. Then I had to explain the whole situation (apparently 'corporate restructuring' is not a good enough answer for some people). Sigh. It's going to be a long week.

1 comment:

-Ann said...

During my unemployed time, I answered such questions with responses that varied along the sarcastic scale, depending on how well I knew the person and what my mood was at the time. Lady of Leisure, Drain on Society, Professional Unemployed Person were all good ones.