Wednesday, July 13, 2005

"So, what do you do?"

I knew I'd encounter that question over and over at the wedding I was at this past weekend. I did derive amusement from the faces that some people people made when I answered "nothing" or "I'm currently unemployed". They seemed confused for a second and you could see the wheels turning- "What do I do now? Should I ask her is she's found a job yet? No wait, what if she hasn't and is upset about that? Now I look silly because I'm just not saying anything....". So I spent a lot of time reassuring people that I'm not too damaged by my situation.

Some people reacted in a manner that I had not expected. When I told them of my new status in the Land of the Unemployed they answered "Oh, that's good! That's good, right?". I wasn't really sure how to respond to that, so I said something like "Yeah, sort of", and then tried to immediately extricate myself from the conversation. What I really wanted to say was "Good? Why would this be good? I've got bills and no more steady paycheck! What could possibly have made you think that this is good?". It's one thing if I say that this will be a good time to regroup and etc...but for some reason it bothers me when other people seem to assume that unemployment is a good thing.

4 comments:

-Ann said...

They're probably just people who hate their jobs and dream of being laid off. Or they think that being unemployed is super-glamorous, like you're Joey in Friends or something. Sure, it's all just going to the gym, mid-afternoon movies, naps, and late nights in bars. Oh, wait, that was college. :)

Anonymous said...

The correct answer is "I'll tell you what I do if you tell me what you weigh."

Lyss said...

As long as I never get desperate enough to be the VD poster girl (like on the Thanksgiving episode of Friends)

Career Guy said...

Steve's is the best answer--can't top that, except to say that if you are what you eat, you are also what you do. You are still a writer, editor, or whatever, even if you aren't being paid to do it somewhere just yet.