Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Family Jobs

When I was in NY not long ago my aunt asked me if I wouldn't like to learn about the real estate business from her. I think she's great at it, but I don't want to be a realtor.

She also told me about a job at a nonprofit in northern NJ. It's only part time as an admin assistant. And it's in the suburbs. I don't live there and don't wish to. I like where I grew up but it has changed so much that it drives me a bit batty now to go back there and see the new chain stores and McMansions that have popped up. I guess you can't really go home again.

Then she thought I might want to work for her and her partner. She talked about it with her partner and despite my aunt's fears of nepotism her partner was all for it. The business partner felt that it would be good to have a family member "watching out for the business". That's lovely and I'm honored, but, once again, I don't live there. It would have to be financially worth it for me to move back to the NY metro area. (Her youngest son is about to get his real estate license, what's he...chopped liver?).

It is very hard to say no to her once she's got her mind set on something. This is part of what makes her a great real esstate broker.

1 comment:

dinesh kumar jena said...

When I was in NY not long ago my aunt asked me if I wouldn't like to learn about the real estate business from her. I think she's great at it, but I don't want to be a realtor