Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Why am I still here?

OK boss, you encouraged me to use this to blow off steam about work....I'm going to do that now.
I have been up since 3 AM. It is now 1 PM. (Thank you. The bagel did help to sustain me this long. No sarcasm.). My shift is supposed to be 5-9 AM. I'm not sure what's going on. Is this just a quirk today or will timing always be this off? I'm glad for the extra hours but my body is so not used to this yet. It is screaming for sleep. Well, it's more like softly whispering since it's too tired to scream.

Its not that I don't like it here. I do. I appreciate my job. I just need time to get used to the rhythms of a new place and to the rules and systems of a new corporate owner. The lightbulb company ran a pretty tight ship, or at least appeared to. There were, like, systems and charts and measurements for everything. And my former boss was very involved in governing my schedule ( a little to involved for my taste most of the time). I'm not used to all this freedom and trust.

2 comments:

Lyss said...

In my defense, I was left all alone and had no idea when you or A were coming in.

Charts and measurments = Six Sigma

Bill T said...

Well, I suppose that answers the question of Where A(lyss)a Works. 8^)

Is being called "BOSS" along the lines of being called "SIR"? Especially when you aren't yet thirty? (I'm almost 27 and don't feel like I'm ever going to be worthy of being called SIR... the same way I don't know if I'll ever be able to consider myself a grown-up.)

I remember those days -- at least a few of them -- of working extra-extra-extra late for breaking news. At least one of those days was September 11th, and I say I was damn near useless -- shell-shocked -- but still paid overtime for being a warm body in the building. (The overtime ended up going to a hotel in town, 'cause I was living a 90-minute winding back-road highway drive away from work at the time. Gotta love this business.)