Monday, August 28, 2006

The cost of news?

What are the psychic scars that result from observing and reporting on traumatic phenomena, like Hurricane Katrina or the child sex slave trade? Working on Dateline's perv of the week pieces can't be that easy.
While listening to On The Media recently, I learned of a NY Times reporter who had to suspend his work on an because he was suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (as diagnosed by a doctor). He had been investigating the online community of pedophiles.
I know many people who don’t watch or read the news because they find it too depressing. What about the people who report on and create the news that is broadcast into your living room or delivered to your doorstep every morning?



1 comment:

Bill T said...

I don't know how to agree with you more.

Is it the news itself or the environment I'm in that's screwing me up more? (Is it the soil or the fertilizer doing more damage to me, the seed?)