Thursday, April 27, 2006

Commuter Life...

... is not for me. I can't stand it. It leaves me irritated, stressed, out of shape (no more time to go to the gym between the commute and my half-hour lunch). My back hurts, my car is dying, and the driving skills of some people leave something to be desired (I had the good fortune to be behind a tractor trailer on 95 North today that had 'show me your hooters' painted on the back of it).

Even before gas prices rose to levels that make getting a tank of gas empty cost roughly the same as a dinner for two at a decent restaurant (and I have a Subaru. I pity SUV drivers), I've not been a fan of any commute over 10 miles. I feel like I waste almost two hours every day traveling to and from work. Podcasts and audio books only make it a little easier. I still spend too much quality time with the car and too little with other people. I have pretty much no life, especially since the move up here. I've barely had a chance to meet any new people (my previous job had me going to sleep at 6pm three nights a week and working on Saturday nights, which is not conducive to making new friends).

I like my job. The people there are not too bad to spend most of my day around. I just wish it were closer (it's located in a smaller town near the outlets, very cute and great place to live if you have 2 kids, a dog , and a minivan). You can even find decent Chinese food there. But it's still far away.

I suppose I should still be thankful that I'm not Dan Givens.


No comments: