Thursday, June 29, 2006

Premature

I found out today that a friend's dad died a few days ago of complications from ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.
He was a wonderful man and I don't think that I ever met anybody who didn't like him. Even the guy he ran against for mayor ended up as his friend. I keep wondering why such a great person had to suffer so much and have his life cut short.

I really want to be there for my friend, but it forces me to unearth a lot of pain that I have worked very hard to deal with so that I can remain a functioning person on a day-to-day basis, as it brings back a flood of memories and emotions surrounding the death of my own father (he died in January 2002 from cancer). Life can be so unfair sometimes.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you've had a blog this whole time, and I didn't know about it. ;)

Anyway, I understand what you mean, and I thank you for making this post. I'm new at this grieving stuff, but I do know that it takes a long time. I am sorry you are still hurting so much from your father's death. Hopefully, one day we will be able to sit down and talk about our dads without feeling uncomfortable or bawling our eyes out.

*BIG HUGS* Love you.