Sunday, June 18, 2006

No apology necessary

Something I've observed at social gatherings that puzzles me- I, as a female, wander up to a boyfriend, or, in some cases, even a male friend, who happens to be chatting with a woman. I greet them, if necessary introduce myself ("Hi, I'm Lyss"). The woman almost immediately apologizes to me for chatting with my boyfriend (or the man she presumes to be my boyfriend). A similar scenario can occur when I'm chatting with a guy and my boyfriend or male friend walks up and Chatty Guy apologizes to him for talking to me.

A variation on the theme above can also go something like this- Chatty Guy says something to my boyfriend/friend like "Oh, I'm sorry, I hope you don't mind me talking to Lyss." Do I look like the little lady who needs approval from her Man to talk to someone at a party? Get with it and realize that this is 2006, not 1906.

I'm not sure I understand why some people feel that they have to apologize for having a conversation. I'm not so insecure that I think you're going to steal my partner away from me. And if it's a male friend, well, then there's really no reason to apologize.












No comments: