Monday, December 19, 2005

Shots fired

I'd never heard a gunshot before. It really does sound a lot like a car backfiring. The following happened outside my apartment complex on very early Sunday morning. I am so moving.

Gun Recovered, Suspects Arrested after Shots Fired in xxxx xxxxx

Around 2:45am officers from District 13 responded to a shots fired call in the area of 133 xxxxxxx xxxxxx Street. Three suspects were arrested in connection with the incident. One suspect, a juvenile male attempted to run from police but was apprehended a short distance away. The juvenile was found to be in the possession of a .38 caliber black handgun. Other ballistic evidence was recovered from the scene. Arraignment will be in West xxxx District Court. The juvenile is charged with Resisting Arrest, Assault with Intent to Murder, Unlawful Possession of a Firearm/Ammunition, and Firearm Discharged within 500 feet of Dwelling.
(courtesy of BPDNews)

I no longer feel safe in my own home. I am suddenly much more empathetic to the residents of (insert name of ghetto neighborhod here). I can't imagine what life is like when the bullets fly on a nightly basis.

My roommate says that this is the first time anything like this has ever happened in the seven years that he's lived in this apartment.And I do comprehend the fact that I live in a city. But I happen to think that even one shooting outside your apartment complex (even if no one dies and the person responsible is arrested) is still one time too many.





Tags:

No comments: