Sunday, April 22, 2007

T is for turn

While sick and running some needed errands Sunday, I was stopped in the left lane, on the stop line, at the light where South Huntington Ave. meets Route 9 at a sort of t-shaped intersection, about to turn left into Route 9. Left blinker flashing.

A Green Line trolley was heading up the hill towards Heath St. The driver, stops, blows his horn and insists that I move back. I politely go back as far as I (and the people behind me) can. There's only so much room we all, including the trolley, have. He then opens his window and asks why I can't just turn right onto Route 9/Huntington St. (Keep in mind that my left turn signal is blinking at him.)

Me: I'm going left.
Him: Why can't you just go right?
Me: I'm not headed that way.
Him: Why not?
Me: That's not where I'm going. It's the wrong direction.

Eventually he gave up arguing and had scooted the trolley up the hill. It's not my fault that some idiot designed that intersection poorly, leaving tight space for all. Meanwhile, he made all those passengers wait while he argued with me about directions.


2 comments:

Train Mon! said...

I agree, the operator shouldn't have wasted time arguing with you once there was enough room to clear the entire body of the trolley(s), but, just the same, if you drive in that area enough, you should know better and stay far enough behind the stop line and to the right of the double-yellow for the trolleys to get by. The trolley operators see it all the time, just like truck drivers and bus drivers trying to make wide rights and lefts onto the narrow cowpaths known as Greater Boston roads when vehicles are stopped over the stop lines. It was probably just pent-up frustation.

Lyss said...

What makes you think I was on the wrong side of the double yellow line?

I don't spend a lot of time counting how often I drive down that street, nor shoudl I be made to feel defensive about it. However, I very rarely encounter the Green Line trolleys on that part of S. Huntington.