Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Providence has personality

My former home base, Providence, RI, gets recognized for being distinct. The capital city of the smallest state has more character than it knows what to do with- and that's not even counting politics (which are the unofficial state sport). I enjoyed living there, once I got used to all the quirks and charms that go along with life in the Ocean State.
  • the rush on bread and milk anytime snow is predicted in the vicinity of southern New England
  • a special breed of potholes (I once saw one on Wickenden Street large enough to swallow a Chihuahua)
  • students at a certain university who have trouble understanding the basic premise of looking before crossing the street
  • all the cool outdoor art, most likely compliments of a RISD connection in one way or another
  • Waterfire (which my mother once referred to as a "happening")
  • Quahogs
  • Operation Plunder Dome
  • Buddy Cianci, the Prince of Providence
But without it's personality, Rhode Island would just be the small state in the country.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Waterfire is a beautiful event. I've gone down there several times from Boston. The only thing is, it's gotten so popular that it's not as contemplative and dreamy as it used to be. Now, it's like a three-ring circus. But I think Providence in general is cool. Love the historic houses, too.